Friday, July 18, 2008

Caden's Surgery.....


Caden had his tonsils and adenoids taken out yesterday. Nick and I have been dreading this day for so long. With Caden almost 2 1/2 he is old enough to understand a lot, but not everything. When we arrived at Jewish Medical East at 6:15am Caden was in good spirits. He knew that Dr.Gould was going to "fix his throat". He did ask for something to drink several times. We had to distract him from thinking about it. Finally about 7:15am they gave him a "cocktail" this was suppose to help him relax before going into surgery and help them to put his I.V in. He was so funny after the "cocktail" kicked in. He would look at us and laugh or giggle. Nick and I never laughed so hard. Then the nurse came and took him back to surgery. It only lasted about 30 minutes, but then came the recovery. That was the worst of all so far. For one of the longest hours of my life, Caden screamed, kicked, hit and pulled his I.V out of his hand. I was sweating just trying to hold him and keep him away from his I.V that was in his hand. It brought tears to my eyes to see my baby boy scared and in so much pain. You just want to take all there pain away. Caden is doing fine now, a little pain medicine and a lot of TLC should get us through this recovery. Thanks for all the thoughts, prayers and visits. The pictures I posted are all right after the "cocktail". We can already tell a difference in his breathing now that his huge tonsils are gone. This will all be worth it in the end.


4 comments:

BJ said...

Cristy,

I'm so glad Caden is doing well and your nervousness is almost over. The pictures of Florida were great. It was a much needed/truly deserved vacation!
Give Caden kisses and hugs for us!!

Love,
BJ & Miller

Carrie, Sean and Savannah Leigh said...

Cristy,
Tell Caden we are so proud of him. It just broke my heart when I read the blog about his surgery. Savannah did the same thing after we got her tubes put in. It is the longest hour but she was so much better in the end. Love the FL pictures!! Take care and hopefully all of us can get together soon!!

Carrie, Brian and William said...

Caden glad to see your doing better and recovering from your surgery. William can't wait til your well enough to play.

Casey Wallace said...

Oh, he looks like such a big, brave (and giddy) boy sitting there in that hospital bed! I'm sorry you had to go through that - I can't imagine how hard it must be to watch your child in so much pain. So glad it's over and that you can already see the benefits of the surgery.